DHCP Redundancy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DHCP Redundancy Forum

DHCP Redundancy for free

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Back to DHCP-RedundancyBack to DHCP-Redundancy  

Import from backup to a dhcp server that already has scopes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
theo22

Import from backup to a dhcp server that already has scopes Empty
PostSubject: Import from backup to a dhcp server that already has scopes   Import from backup to a dhcp server that already has scopes Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:07 am

Question about the export and import process. On my backup server, the one that is running the dhcp-redundancy service, I have tested different scopes and now have a scope that I want to keep that is not part of the primary dhcp server.

What state does the backup server need to be in, in order to accomadate a successful import from the dhcp-backup file? Does it need to be blank with no scopes, or server scopes settings? Or can it have a scope or two before the import is run?

On this same topic, say failover occurs and we have run on our backup server for a week. I now want to switch back to the primary server. I perform an export from the backup server and then import that into the primary. That works. But now I still have all this old lease information on the backup server and if I have to clear all this data out to prepare it for the next failover, I will be deleting DNS records since our scopes are set up to delete records when the lease's get deleted. I definitely don't want that since the leases are good and are now being held on the primary server and I definitely don't want to blow away valid DNS records. How do you cleanly clear out the backup server's data to prepare it for the next failover. Or do you just leave it there? That doesn't seem right. What state should the backup server be in while it's in the waiting state? Is there any harm with just deleting the DHCP database files. Looking in the folder there seems to be like 5 or 7 of these.

Sorry, this info may have already been covered here but my searches on this forum always turn up zero. I could really use some help on this. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Import from backup to a dhcp server that already has scopes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Import from backup to a dhcp server that already has scopes   Import from backup to a dhcp server that already has scopes Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 12:59 pm

The backup server does the import when the main server goes down and the backup service gets active. When the service does the import it erase all current settings and scopes, so unfortunately you cant have any scopes there, they will be erased.

After you have done an export from the backup server you can leave it as it is. The redundancy service will take care of the rest.
Back to top Go down
https://dhcp-redundancy.forumotion.com

Import from backup to a dhcp server that already has scopes
Page 1 of 1