DHCP Redundancy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DHCP Redundancy Forum

DHCP Redundancy for free

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Back to DHCP-RedundancyBack to DHCP-Redundancy  

Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jaspar

Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Empty
PostSubject: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Hello, this is a long read so grab a coffee or coke, what ever is your poison.

Firstly, I like the idea of DHCP redundancy implemented this way.

Now, I'll get straight to the nitty gritty.

I am having trouble putting it into practice. I have read the other posts in regards to sync issues and tried some of the fixes that they have suggested but the fixes have not worked for me. So let me explain my issue in more detail as it's a slightly different issue in regards to syncing.

(Server Info Follows)

Main DHCP server (DC itself) (lets call it server1): Windows 2003 Standard R2 V5.2 SP1
DHCP scope contains 20 scopes with 13 main server options; each scope contains an extra router option.

2nd server (Also a DC) configured to be the backup DHCP server (let’s call it server2): Windows 2003 Enterprise V5.2 SP1

(Background & Issue)

Ok here goes:

I followed the install instructions line by line and had no issue installing the service.

I edited the main bat file to point to a directory on server 2 for exporting the DHCP backup to. I then set the bat file as a scheduled task and it worked fine. I used the directory DHCP-Redundancy on the second server. I ran the scheduled task to confirm that the backup.txt was being created, and that the exporting.txt was being deleted after the backup file had been made. Everything on server 1 works as it was expected to.

On the 2nd server, I ran the configuration utility and pointed the service to our mail server and to our primary DHCP server. I ran the mail test and received the test email without an issue. I then installed the service to server 2 following the install instructions. I then started the service and waited for backup.old to be created.

Backup.old was created so I stopped the DHCP service on the primary DHCP server, and by the time I went back to the 2nd server DHCP redundancy had already started the DHCP service. I checked the scopes and info and everything was correct. Everything had been fully replicated the way it was supposed to be. At that time I thought nothing of it, restarted the main DHCP service on server 1 and DHCP redundancy stopped the DHCP server on server 2 automatically. I received emails informing me of this also.

I left it alone for a couple of days, and decided to check up DHCP redundancy to make sure everything was fine. Server1 appeared to be fine and running as per normal. Server2 had its DHCP server running when it was not supposed to be. I checked to make sure that the connectivity between the 2 servers had not been interrupted. It had not been. I checked the DHCP options on server2 and all the scopes had vanished, but 3 scope options had remained. I stopped the DHCP service, and DHCP redundancy restarted the DHCP service even though the primary DHCP service on server 1 was already running. This left me a little confused.

I disabled both the DHCP service and DHCP redundancy on server 2 while I began troubleshooting to see if I could work out the issue. I decided to delete the backup.old and the backup.txt from the second server, and re-run the bat file on server 1 manually. I then restarted the DHCP-redundancy service and set it to automatic, I then set DHCP-server service to automatic also and left it go for a couple of minutes. After 2 minutes backup.old was created and I checked the scope options on server 2 after stopping the DHCP service on server 1. This time a couple of scopes had been copied, and about 5 scope options. So it was a little more then last time, but not as good as the first time.

This appeared to be quite random, as I was trying to re-create an error for troubleshooting. I restarted the DHCP-redundancy service a couple of times, running the bat file before each time just to see what would happen. Sometimes the DHCP service on the 2nd server would get half of the DHCP server info, sometimes 1 or 2 scope options, other times 18 out of the 20 scopes. It is quite random.

I decided that it was a little too random, and decided to start everything again from scratch. So I removed everything relating to DHCP-redundancy and started again.

I followed all the same steps as previously written, and the first time it was installed and tested it appeared to be running perfectly. All scope options were copied correctly and all scopes were copied.

I ran the bat file again on the primary server, and then restarted the DHCP-redundancy service and the randomness began again.

So that’s my issue, I tried to include as much information as possible on my steps so that you might be able to re-create the error yourself. I would like this to work, so if you have the time to have a look at it, or help me with some troubleshooting it would be greatly appreciated.

(Extra Info)
Net Framework 2 is installed on server 2.
The DHCP service on server 2 keeps starting after the sync does not get all options.
Restarting the DHCP-Redundancy service, after manually running the bat file from server 1 will randomize the scope options or scopes that get applied to the 2nd server.
Email Alerts fail after sync is not done correctly even though connectivity is fine.
Connectivity was being constantly checked during the testing phases, and did not drop out at all.
Both server1 and server2’s event logs show no sign of issues. Server2 DHCP-Redundancy events basically say that everything is running fine.

Also, as I listed before I tried most of the things that were listed in the other sync issue posts and they did not work for me etc.

I would like this to work, so again if you’re able to find time to help troubleshoot it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Jaspar
Back to top Go down
jaspar

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 5:35 pm

P.S: Both DHCP servers are authorized.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 7:23 am

You are running the latest version of DHCP-Redundancy, 1.22?
Would you like to send a dump of the config on your main server, so I can test it myself? It sounds like you have some config that makes the import to hang.
Run the command 'netsh dhcp server 10.1.1.40 dump > c:\dhcp-txt'
Change the IP to that of the main server, and mail me the text-file. You can find my email on the download page.
Back to top Go down
https://dhcp-redundancy.forumotion.com
techi

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 5:47 am

I am having exactly the same issue
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:00 am

Check what context the DHCP-Redundancy service on your bacup DHCP server is running under, should be 'Local System'.
What version of DHCP-Redundancy are you using?
Back to top Go down
techi

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:40 am

version 1.53. latest version, i suppose.

how do i check the context?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:25 am

Check the "Log on" tab in preferences for the DHCP-Redundancy service.
Back to top Go down
techi

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 am

Its running under local system
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 am

Start the DHCP-Redundancy config utility and stop the service in the menu.
Click advanced settings and enable debug, save the settings.
Start the service again from the menu.
Wait two minutes, stop the main dhcp service, wait two minutes after the second DHCP service is up, start the main DHCP service again and again wait two minutes.
Disable debugging with the config utility.
In the installation directory there is now a file named debug.txt, please mail it to me.
Back to top Go down
techy

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 8:46 am

Just sent the debug file to your mail
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.   Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sync Issue - Scope's not fully replicating on 2nd server.
Page 1 of 1